Friday, 19 May 2017

The fall of the United Kingdom

I never thought it would come to the day when the people of the United Kingdom would have to fight for their freedoms, when EU citizens living here would feel unwelcome, insecure and afraid. I always thought the United Kingdom was an open and welcoming country. From the late 1980s I really thought that this country was beginning to embrace its role as part of continental Europe in a more assured and integrated way than ever before. The channel tunnel was a breakthrough. It was a physical link to the promised land. It was something unthinkable during my youth. 

Then wham last year on the 23 June our constitution faced a major blow when a mere 27% of our population decided to vote in a referendumto leave the EU. They wanted to take a major step backwards in time, in progress. I am angry with those voters but I am more angry with those that lead a campaign of lies for their own ends.

We know now that the brexiteer politicians have one aim and that is for the conservative party of the UK to enjoy a bonfire of human rights and deregulate whatever they like. Having read their manifesto I cannot believe that those I share this blighted isle with are going to fall for this. But then many of them voted for brexit so maybe they will fall for any old rubbish.

We all have decisions to make and at the moment I have to make a bold decision. Do I stay on this now tainted isle where even Scottish independence has been thwarted for the forseeable future by the 'fascists' who want to deny Scotland its own rightful place in Europe. (For the Scottish voted by 62% to remain in the European Union). Or do I leave this place while there is still time. Either way is a risk. We talk about the road not taken, perhaps we should choose it sometime.
***********
To Westminster Britain is just England, they despise Scotland but won't let it go.  They need our whisky, our oil, they dump their nukes here.
***********
But I feel like an alien in my own coutry as do all those europhiles who are stuck with only a British passport. Looking outside today you wouldn't think this land was about to undergo the worst constiutional upheaval ever...since World War II. But already brexit is starting to bite; every time we go to the shops prices have risen; every time I look at the news there is a depressing headline. We have zero hours contracts, under employment, unemployment, we have food banks, we have frazzled nurses and care workers, we have benefits and welfare frozen and overhauled at the expense of those who need it. We have people who are overworked, places that are understaffed, we have young people saddled with debts from tuition fees that are unheard of in most of Europe.   

The only countries that are not in the EEA or EU on the European continent are those you would not envy. We are talkng Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Moldova. I am seriously shocked that the majority of our politicians have acted so irresponsibly, been so cowardly as to plough on with this hard brexit dumping the single market and customs union, stealing our EU citizenship away and all the advantages that go with it. Only the SNP, the Green party and the Liberal democrats have any sense of what is right. 

Our government could have negotiated reform, renogotiated their deal but no they walk away. The EU27 would cancel brexit in a flash.  But no our government does not care about the future of the young, the missed opportunities.  They care about themselves.  They are now known as the nasty party, the rape clause says it all.  

And no I do not believe there should even be a referendum of the final deal. There should be no final deal. The prime minister should admit that brexit is a mistake, they cannot deliver the promises of the referendum in any form, they cannot pursue brexit without inflicting a great deal of damage on the UK in the next decade or more.

Ideally I would like to take myself and my family off to France and make sure my son can at least apply get an EU27 passport by the itme he is 18. In an ideal world I'd get my 22 year old daughter there too. But she knows here own mind and has her own job. But I am afraid that during another five years of this present tory government the UK will become a satellite of the USA and that is not a good place to be.

Our country is in a sad and dangerous place today. If you are thinking of coming here, you are very welcome by me but seriously I wouldn't bother; there are better places to be..
#toriesout


No comments:

Post a Comment